[cups.bugs] [CRIT] STR #1742: cups and snmp with printerdrake corpo 4.0

chandrasegaran chandra at mandriva.com
Sun Jun 4 13:45:52 PDT 2006

[STR New]

Operating System : Mandriva corporate server 4.0 beta 2
LAN settings :
IP of my machine : 13.202.134.104
Broadcast:13.202.135.255
Mask:255.255.252.0

I tried to set up printers which are connected to the network. So I used
the tool printerdrake, then I clicked on add printer=>Next=>Network
printer (printer auto-detection checked)=>Next. Then a window appear with
the message "please wait scanning network". The tool printerdrake froze.
In a console, I launch the command top :
I showed 3 snmp process ran (each process took 33% of cpu time)
I launched also the command : tail -v /var/log/messages=> lpstat -l -p -v.
I executed /usr/lib/cups/backends/snmp in a terminal, it showed me :
INFO: Using default SNMP address @LOCAL
INFO: Using default SNMP community public
and I didn't execute any commands, because it dispalyed this message.

Once I killed snmp process, the message "please wait scanning network"
disappeared, and the tool printerdrake allowed me to set up manually
printer IP adress and to choice the protocole (tcp/socket).

So, it is possible to set up manually printers which are in the LAN bys
specifying the ip adress, however, if  user decides to do auto-detection
mode, everything freezes.

According to me, it is due to scanning the LAN. As the range of scanning
is too big, because the class of ip in that LAN is class A, so the
scanning takes time.

I did an other test on a different network, class C : 192.168.100...., in
taht case the tool printerdrake shows me all the printers.

chandra at mandriva.com

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1742
Version: 1.2.1