[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1771: Easy way to set custom paper sizes

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Tue Jun 13 07:26:13 PDT 2006

[STR New]

benjaminq wrote by e-mail (backposted to the report):

Hi and thanks for your response.

I have set up OOorg so that it presents a native KDE kprinter dialog.
Additionally, I searched every bit of kcontrol concerning printers and
used the web interface of CUPS. I do not find a possibility to set a paper
size that is not in the list. Not from OOorg and neither from any KDE
Program.

(This list of page sizes is also presented in the OOorg printing dialog by
the way)

The list of paper sizes seems to be determined by the PPD file (or is the
hpijs driver the culprit?). The printer itself has an automatic paper
detection that does apparently not function under Linux. So all that's
left is selecting the paper from the list that comes with the PPD. If the
media to be printed is not on that list, you either have to work around or
edit the PPD file.

I apologize if my description may not be technical enough.

All the best

Paper size lists come really from the PPD files, not from the drivers.
Unfortunately, most GUIs do not see the support for a custom paper size.
Your distro has probably a package named "xpp" which is also a GUI
printing frontend, but with support for custom page sizes. Try this one
instead of kprinter.

For the missing custom page size in the web interface file a new bug
report here on the CUPS site.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1771
Version:  -feature