[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1808: BrowseRelay fails completely

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Jun 28 09:21:32 PDT 2006

Erwin Van de Velde <erwin.vandevelde at gmail.com> wrote (Wednesday 28 June 2006 15:10):

> When adding
> BrowseRelay 143.129.77.x 143.129.77.x

If the "$SOURCE" host (the first address) is in a different subnet
(from the host where this cupsd.conf statement is used), you need
to *poll* the source host, and then BrowseRelay from localhost. Like
this:

  BrowsePort 631
  BrowsePoll 143.129.77.xyz:631
  BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 143.129.77.nnn

That should work. (And to exclude any other errors with computation
of netmasks/broadcast addresses  [or even bugs in CUPS], you should
also try the other possible syntaxes "BrowseRelay localhost @LOCAL",
etc.)

Also, keep in mind that the BrowseRelay target address 143.129.77.nnn
*must* be accessible from the relaying host (i.e. not being in a
different subnet, separated by a router)!

> (first one being a host, second a broadcast address, different subnet)
> I see the following in the cups error log:
> Relaying from 143.129.77.63 to
> 0.0.0.2130706xxx/4294967295.4294967295.4294967295.4294967295:631 (IPv4)
> 2130706xxx is the ip address of the host.

That is a bug in logging only, not in the actual functioning. It was
resolved in the current code. See

    http://www.cups.org/str.php?U1798

> BrowseRelay fails to work and
> seems impossible to fix.

Thats's rather because of the wrong syntax, see above.

> The cups relay host has no own printers, but only relays to the other
> subnet.

This "the other subnet" makes me suspicious. Unless the relaying
host is part of both subnets...

> Server details:
> FreeBSD 6.1, up to date version
> (Untested on other hosts/OSes)