broken printouts when CUPS server CPU slow

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Wed Mar 1 03:00:13 PST 2006

I have a CUPS server running on a slow, old machine.

The PPD driver uses foomatic-rip (and ghostscript in turn).

If the document which is to be printed is big (i.e., 30-page PDF document with some images), the printout is broken:

- after about 5 minutes, only the first page is printed, sometimes incomplete
- I can see foomatic-rip, gs still running (gs eating 90% CPU); it will be running indefinitely (gs running, but eating 0% CPU after some time)

I tried setting different "timeout" values in cupsd.conf, but it didn't help at all.

Where should I look to solve the issue? cups, foomatic, printer maybe?