Cups doesnt forward print jobs to HPJetDirect

Benjamim Farah benjamimfarah at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 16:30:18 PST 2006

Hello fellows,

I have a main cups server to manager other 2 print servers.
One of them is a LPD print server from Level1 working with a HP LaserJet 1200. I added this print server to cups main server as a queue. And from Windows and Linux clients it is possible to print just adding the relative queue from cups server. Like this:

On Windows: Network printer:

http://cups-server-ip:631/printers/queue-name

The other print server is a HP JETDIRECT en3700 working with a HP color LaserJet 3500. I did the same procedure used for Level1 but it didnt work even using different ports 9100, ipp and lpd. With all these protocols i can add the printer  to cups server and the test page (from cups server) is printed ok. But when i try to add the queue on cups related to this printer Windows returns: "This printers is not available... coud not be found... doesnt exist on server, etc, etc".

The cups server doesnt forward the printing jobs from linux or windows clients to hp jetdirect print server.

If a connect to HP JETDIRECT direct (without cups main server) from clients it works fine.

I need to use cups main server in order to log the printed jobs.

However, the wired is that the HP JETDIRECT it was working before like i want to. But I had to reinstall the CUPS MAIN SERVER because of a disk crash.

The cups server is running on Fedora Core 4 with last updates.

So, does anybody here can help me?

Some bug between the comuncation cups <=> hp jetdirect ?

Some tip?

Thanx

BJ Mckay