Error using cupsaddsmb: No printer-uri found!

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Mar 2 08:58:46 PST 2006

 I am attempting to configure a Debian (Sarge) box to share six network printers to Windows 2000 and XP machines on the local network. I have installed and configured CUPS (trunk build revision: 5212) and Samba (3.0.14) to further this end.

 I have located the appropriate .ppd drivers for my printers and have placed them in /usr/share/cups/model.

 I have used "lpadmin" to add six network printers as shown below:

indus:/usr/share/cups/model# lpadmin -p P0-LaserJet4100 -E -v socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -m LaserJet4100.ppd
indus:/usr/share/cups/model# lpadmin -p P1-LaserJet8000 -E -v socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -m LaserJet8000.ppd
indus:/usr/share/cups/model# lpadmin -p P2-LaserJet4100 -E -v socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -m LaserJet4100.ppd
indus:/usr/share/cups/model# lpadmin -p P3-Magicolor2300DL -E -v socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -m Magicolor2300DL.ppd
indus:/usr/share/cups/model# lpadmin -p P4-Magicolor2300DL -E -v socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -m Magicolor2300DL.ppd
indus:/usr/share/cups/model# lpadmin -p P5-LaserJet5Si -E -v socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -m LaserJet5Si.ppd

I am able to successfully print to each of the printers added from Debian without issue.

As an aside, since upgrading to the latest trunk build (from CUPS v1.1.23) I noticed that it started prompting for the root password when executing any lpadmin command. There's no need for this while I'm logged in as root already - anyone know how to get around it?

As far as I can tell, I already have Samba configured correctly. I'm able to see the printers from Windows machines, but I can't connect them.

When attempting to connect to a printer from a Windows XP machine, I receive the following message:

"You are about to connect to a printer on indus, which will automatically install a print driver on your machine. Printer drivers may contain viruses or scripts that can be harmful to your computer. It is important to be certain that the computer sharing this printer is trustworthy. Would you like to continue?"

I say YES to the prompt and receive the following warning:

"The server for the 'P4-Magicolor2300DL' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver."

I click OK to acknowledge the warning and am prompted for a printer driver INF. I've tried using mxp____b.inf (the Windows XP driver provided by Konica Minolta) and cups6.inf (the Windows 2000/XP driver provided by CUPS); for both I receive the same error as follows:

"Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver. Contact your administrator for help locating and installing a suitable driver."

I assume I need to use cupsaddsmb to add the printers to Samba before this will work properly. The CUPS man page for cupsaddsmb (http://www.cups.org/man/cupsaddsmb.html) advises I obtain the CUPS v6 PostScript printer driver for Windows (which was supposed to be available on the CUPS website, but I had to obtain elsewhere). The documentation advises I extract the driver files into /drivers from the CUPS data directory (usually /usr/share/cups).

The driver files, as per the cupsaddsmb man page, should include the following:
- cupsui6.dll
- cupsdrv6.dll
- ps5ui.dll
- pscript.hlp
- pscript.ntf
- pscript5.dll

I could not locate cupsdrv6.dll anywhere, but I had found a file named cupsps6.dll. A search on www.cups.org for cupsdrv6.dll pulled the following article (http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L333):

Article #333: CUPS 1.2svn Weekly Snapshot, r4738
r4718 | mike | 2005-09-28 12:35:47 -0400 (Wed, 28 Sep 2005) | 2 lines
Fix cupsaddsmb - was using cupsdrv6.dll instead of cupsps6.dll.

Reading this article is what originally prompted me to upgrade to the latest trunk version. That in mind, I assume this should no longer be an issue, but just in case, I made a copy of cupsps6.dll in /usr/share/cups/drivers and renamed it to cupsdrv6.dll.

When executing cupsaddsmb, I receive the following error:

indus:/usr/share/cups/drivers# cupsaddsmb -U xxxxx -v P4-Magicolor2300DL
cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "P4-Magicolor2300DL" - No printer-uri found!

Any assistance offered will be very greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have included my configuration files below. Let me know if anything else is needed.

--- smb.conf

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ##

   netbios name = Indus
   workgroup = xxxxx
   server string = %h (Samba Print Server)

#### Debugging/Accounting ####

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level = 2
   max log size = 1000
   syslog only = no
   syslog = 0

####### Authentication #######

   security = share
   username map = /etc/samba/users.map
   encrypt passwords = true
   guest account = smbprint
   invalid users = root

########## Printing ##########

   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/lock

######## File sharing ########

# Name mangling options
;   preserve case = yes
;   short preserve case = yes

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[drivers]
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   guest ok = yes
   writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   use client driver = yes
   printer admin = root, printuser, adminuser

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   write list = root, printuser, adminuser

[P0-LaserJet4100]
   comment = HP LaserJet 4100 Series PS
   printable = yes
   path = /var/spool/samba
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes

[P1-LaserJet8000]
   comment = HP LaserJet 8000 Series PCL
   printable = yes
   path = /var/spool/samba
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes

[P2-LaserJet4100]
   comment = HP LaserJet 4100 Series PS
   printable = yes
   path = /var/spool/samba
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes

[P3-Magicolor2300DL]
   comment = Konica Minolta Magicolor 2300DL
   printable = yes
   path = /var/spool/samba
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes

[P4-Magicolor2300DL]
   comment = Konica Minolta Magicolor 2300DL
   printable = yes
   path = /var/spool/samba
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes

[P5-LaserJet5Si]
   comment = HP LaserJet 5Si
   printable = yes
   path = /var/spool/samba
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes

--- printers.conf

<DefaultPrinter P0-LaserJet4100>
Info P0-LaserJet4100
DeviceURI socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

<Printer P1-LaserJet8000>
Info P1-LaserJet8000
DeviceURI socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

<Printer P2-LaserJet4100>
Info P2-LaserJet4100
DeviceURI socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

<Printer P3-Magicolor2300DL>
Info P3-Magicolor2300DL
DeviceURI socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

<Printer P4-Magicolor2300DL>
Info P4-Magicolor2300DL
DeviceURI socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

<Printer P5-LaserJet5Si>
Info P5-LaserJet5Si
DeviceURI socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

--- cupsd.conf

<Location />
  Order Deny,Allow
  Deny From All
  Allow From xxx.xxx.xxx.*
</Location>

<Location /admin>
  AuthType Basic
  AuthClass System
  Allow From xxx.xxx.xxx.*
  Order Deny,Allow
  Deny From All
</Location>

--- mime.convs

Uncommented: application/octet-stream        application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -

--- mime.types

Uncommented: application/octet-stream

- Robert P