cupsaddsmb doesn't seem to recognize all printers

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Mar 2 10:22:58 PST 2006

Since my <A href="http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s7619+gcups.general+v7628+T0">original post</A> I've continued to play with the cupsaddsmb command. I've noticed that if I execute "cupsaddsmb -U xxxxx -v -a", it pauses for a moment and returns to the command line with no output. It doesn't write a log for either CUPS or Samba. I see the same behavior when executing "cupsaddsmb -v" (with no parameters), whereas if I specify the printer (example: "cupsaddsmb -U xxxxx -v P4-Magicolor2300DL"), I receive an error. This behavior leads me to believe it isn't recognizing my printers or configuration properly.

Please reference my original post for my configuration files.

The error I referenced above is documented in my original post, and below:

indus:/usr/share/cups/drivers# cupsaddsmb -U xxxxx -v P4-Magicolor2300DL
cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "P4-Magicolor2300DL" - No printer-uri found!

(which also does not write to either CUPS or Samba logs, by the way)

Any advisement as to what may cause this behavior is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Robert P