no parallel port

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Mar 2 12:53:35 PST 2006

Hi, I'm new to linux printing so my question may sould silly.

For installing my Brother HL-5250DN via parallel, lpadmin kept giving me an error.

>/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p hl5250 -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m /usr/share/cups/model/BR5250_2.PPD

lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible

I noticed parallel port is not recognised at all!

>lpinfo -v
network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct scsi
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS2?baud=115200
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp1

It's strange as I made sure parallel port is ECP+EPP in bios and compiled kernel with parallel port support. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.