[cups.general] Using the 'reject' command

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Mar 2 13:27:53 PST 2006

Minatra, Pat H. wrote:
> I am unable to get the following information clarified and am wondering
> if someone can please clarify.
>
> If I use the reject printer_name command, where do the jobs go?

They are rejected, they never get accepted for printing.  "lp" and
"lpr" will display an error, and the jobs will be lost forever.

> Scenario:
> We have a system default printer that catches everything that is NOT
> input correctly by the users (i.e. invalid print queue).  That queue is
> left down for obvious reasons that it would print a BUNCH of output if
> left up.  If I reject print jobs to this printer, will the print jobs
> just get deleted?  That is what I want to happen but can't find it in
> the documentation anywhere so I am putting the question out there in
> hopes someone may know the answer or know where to find it.

Yes, that is one way.  You can also just create a raw queue pointing
at file:/dev/null and the jobs will be accepted but get thrown out
immediately.  The downside is that the users will not realize that
something is amiss, but using "reject" will yield an error forcing
them to select a printer... :)