[cups.general] Monitor toner levels

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sat Mar 4 21:43:38 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:14:32AM -0500, Anonymous wrote:

> is there a way to get toner and paper levels for a cups printer?
> I would like to create a script in order to check if any printer is low
> in these materials.

For network printers, this is possible using the SNMP protocol, but
the result may not be as precise as you expect.

You'll have to use the snmpget and/or snmpwalk command line tools
for this. Also npadmin might help but it doesn't work with all printers.

I remember having tried to grab paper level from old HP laserjet printers,
and the result was something like : 'full' | 'empty' | 'unknown'  :-)

I suppose for ink levels it's possible the same way.

I don't have the SNMP OIDs at hand, sorry.

You can also retrieve inkjet levels from some non-networked printers,
because some tools do this : ink, kink, mtink and so on...

hth

Jerome Alet