[cups.general] Cups Admin problems

Russf russbucket at nwi.net
Mon Mar 6 08:41:00 PST 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mar 4 22:58 Russf wrote (shortened):
>> SuSe 10.0, KDE 3.4.2 level b, ghostscript 8.1.5rc1, Cups 1.1.23-21.2-586
>> Today I tried  using printmgr to look at the cups server.
>
> What is "printmgr"?
> Prefer the CUPS tools when you have problems with other tools, see
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
>

>> the admin screen does not have any of the Icons shows
>
> It seems somehow the "DocumentRoot" entry in
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf had changed to a wrong value.
>
> For example when you update the CUPS packages but still use the old
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf you should check whether the settings in this
> file are still correct for the new package version.
>

>> was going to uninstall Cups and reinstall it, but YaSt told me I'd need
>> to delete 88 dependent applications and libs.
>
> YaST must inform you about RPM dependencies.
> But it is up to you to decide what to do and how to do it
> when you remove a package which is needed by many other packages.
>
> You may also have a look at our support database:
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_-_Reinstalling_the_Printing_System
> or search our mailing lists:
> http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Jun/4134.html
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner
Printmgr is a kde application for managing printers. can be called from k
menu or with kcmshell printmgr if its installed. My actual problem is the
CUPS Admin page. For some reason the html is not performing all the script.
It appears it will not show the Icons, some of the text etc. I sent the
followingupdate yesterday but it has not appeared yet>

Update. I found the password problem, printmgr had changed the autorization
back to the default instead of Digest for Admin.

In displaying the webpage source for Admin some parts are not being
displayed, even though the code appears to be there. I noticed in
cupsd.conf there is supposed to be a /usr/share/cups/doc where the HREF
commands reference. This directory does not exit on my system I was able to
restore most of cups today but could not remove cups-libs since removing it
effects so many programs.

Does /usr/share/cups/doc need to be there?

Thanks for your response.
--
Russ