Multi trays printing

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Mar 7 04:06:12 PST 2006

Anonymous wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to print a PDF file to different trays on Xerox DocuTech 6135 printer. For example, I want the printer to use Tray1 for odd pages and Tray2 for even pages.
>
> Anyone know how to do this using cups in Unix?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I don't know if the very latest version of DocuSP (the software that drives the printing engine)
already supports embedded PDF job tickets (I suppose no), but the versions I happen to deal with
don't. In case of PDF, the PDF gets internally converted to a PostScript stream which then
gets printed as usual.

The only way I know of is to prepend a Xerox job ticket to the job, but I think the number of
page exceptions that can be defined is limited. Moreover, independent of the method used,
you cannot specify tray numbers for the DocuTech; you need to specify different media colors
and/or media types.

The best way would be to convert the PDF to PS prior to printing (using pdftops from the xpdf suite)
and then setting up the media changes by specifying suitable /BeginPage PS procedures.
Feel free to ask me for advice if you are going this way.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung