Printing as another user

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Mar 8 06:29:15 PST 2006

Michael De Vlaminck wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to disable the -U option from /usr/bin/lpr?
>>> Because I'm setting up a printing system using CUPS. We also need an accountingsystem (we have pykota fot that) but the problem is that we can't trust the username that pykota recieves because of the -U option from lpr.
>> You can enable authentication (so that users need to provide a
>> password), or edit the source code to remove the -U option.  However,
>> the latter change will not prevent users from writing a CUPS-based
>> program that submits a job with an alternate username.
>
> When I enable authentication, is the password that the user needs to provide the same as the user needs to login to our systems? Or is it a completely different userdatabase?

Normally, yes, however some Linux distributions (SuSE in particular)
use the Digest (lppasswd) authentication option instead, which means
you'll need to setup separate passwords for every user.

Also, CUPS uses PAM on platforms that support it, so you can
authenticate against accounts in the /etc/passwd file, LDAP accounts,
Kerberos, etc. (however, note that we don't support Kerberos
authentication via SPNEGO yet, so users will need to provide their
password - no single sign-on support yet...)