CUPS and IPP Problems with WinXP Home

M.Richter 1mrmk at gmx.net
Wed Mar 8 15:37:19 PST 2006

Hi,

I successfully managed to configure Cups as a Server using a Brother DCP 8040 on Ubuntu 5.10 for IPP-access with a WinXP-Home-client. On the XP-machine everything worked fine until a HP USB-printer was installed as a new standard-printer. After that print-jobs directed to the 8040 did not reach the printer. The status says that printing is in progress, but nothing happened.
Trying to reinstall the printer-driver on XP following the usual instructions with http://linux:631/printers/DCP8040 (this adress was the working one), XP told that the printer could not be found.
Is there any conflict with the HP-driver?
Even uninstalling the HP-driver did not take effect.

My Ubuntu Laptop gets regular access to the printer.

I would be happy, if someone could give me some information on what went wrong.

Many thanks,

Matthew