[cups.general] Acrobat (PDF) print question.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Thu Mar 9 23:39:01 PST 2006

Im not sure where to best ask this question, but since a lot of
printer savey folks read this list, perhaps someone here can
help me.

The question has to do with printing Acrobat pdf files thru CUPS.
I had always thought that the REASON for Acrobat was so that
a user didnt have all the problems of not having the fonts that
a Postscript document asked for...

Yet in recent months, and just now, I have a PDF file that wont
print, and the error message that is spit out by my printer is that
it doesnt have TimesNewRoman as a font.

Is there anything I can do in a case like this (this is a HPLJ4M+
and needless to say it doesnt have this font).

I guess I would accept its best shot with some font that it does
have (probably TimesRoman), but Ive seen this same error
with a half dozen different fonts named in the error message,
and I have a hard time believeing

    (a) that modern printer have all these fonts built in.
    (b) that there isnt some way to print these documents...

Any suggestions/help appreciated.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com