CUPS with IPP protocol sending PCL cc

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Mar 10 05:55:07 PST 2006

Arthur Braschi wrote:
> I'm using CUPS with IPP protocol to send reports to printers.  I have some reports that mix PCL control characters to program printer to do something like:
>
> 1) Change font size in the middle of line, like txtxtxtxtxtBIGBIGBIGtxtxtxtxt (not lower/upper case).
>
> 2) To program Barcode printers.
>
> How can I do this?

To print the files, use the application/vnd.cups-raw file type (or
just "-o raw" on the command-line) to pass the file directly to the
printer unfiltered.

As for generating the printer data, there is nothing in CUPS right
now to automatically do what you want - PS/PDF files can be converted
and printed, of course, but there is no driver/filter to generate PCL
text or barcodes.