[cups.general] Acrobat (PDF) print question.

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Mar 10 07:04:10 PST 2006

clemens at dwf.com wrote:

> Im not sure where to best ask this question, but since a lot of
> printer savey folks read this list, perhaps someone here can
> help me.
>
> The question has to do with printing Acrobat pdf files thru CUPS.
> I had always thought that the REASON for Acrobat was so that
> a user didnt have all the problems of not having the fonts that
> a Postscript document asked for...
>
> Yet in recent months, and just now, I have a PDF file that wont
> print, and the error message that is spit out by my printer is that
> it doesnt have TimesNewRoman as a font.
>
> Is there anything I can do in a case like this (this is a HPLJ4M+
> and needless to say it doesnt have this font).
>
> I guess I would accept its best shot with some font that it does
> have (probably TimesRoman), but Ive seen this same error
> with a half dozen different fonts named in the error message,
> and I have a hard time believeing
>
>     (a) that modern printer have all these fonts built in.
>     (b) that there isnt some way to print these documents...
>
> Any suggestions/help appreciated.
>
> --
>                                         Reg.Clemens
>                                         reg at dwf.com

If you use Acrobat (or Adobe Reader) to print a PDF to a (PostScript) printer, the application
will emulate not embedded or unavailable fonts using the multiple master fonts which come with Acrobat
or reader.
I don't know of any other PDF hancling application with does something similar. But when printing via
CUPS you could setup a sophisticated font substitution filter using Ghostscript.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung