Cannot restart printing service (cupsd) from Mac

anonymous yliu0131 at brockport.edu
Mon Mar 13 14:59:35 PST 2006

I copied my PPD file in /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj

I restarted cups through command line
/System/Library/StartupItems/PrintingServices/PrintingServices restart
This command executed OK from terminal but the new PPD is not shown up from
Printer Setup Utility.

I tried to restart cups with
killall -HUP cupsd
Still, the PPD is not shown up from Printer Setup Utility.

I have to restart Mac to make it work.

I also tried to copy the PPD file to /usr/share/cups/model, same result.

I tried on Panther and Tiger.

I read Mac OS X panther unleased, and it says there's erratic behavior when
restarting CUPS daemon. Is it the case? It would be very annoying to require
user to restart their Mac just to install a printer PPD file. Are there work
around?