CUPS: must remove lpr ?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Mar 14 16:17:06 PST 2006

Anonymous wrote:
> I read somewhere that installing/using CUPS requires
> that the entire lpr system be removed or somehow
> disabled. This sounded a bit scary to me. Now
> (2006) I wonder if it is true. Can anyone enlighten
> me?

In general, yes, since CUPS provides all of the LPR functionality
and commands.

Debian puts the Berkeley commands (lpr, lpc, etc.) in a separate
cupsys-lpr (or something like that) package so that you can have
both installed side-by-side, and Red Hat has their alternatives
system so you can have them both installed.  You can also install
CUPS in a separate location.

However, all of those things have one problem - many programs are
hardcoded to use the lp or lpr commands in the standard locations,
so you will have difficulty "trying" CUPS without installing it
where applications are looking for it... :)