[cups.general] CUPS: must remove lpr ?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Mar 14 19:18:42 PST 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 18:10, Anonymous wrote:
>I read somewhere that installing/using CUPS requires
>that the entire lpr system be removed or somehow
>disabled. This sounded a bit scary to me. Now
>(2006) I wonder if it is true. Can anyone enlighten
>me?

As just a user, I went thru this same hell, and that IS the right word,
several years ago as I didn't understand that (ANAICT) cups totally
replaces all lpr/lprNG functionality with like-named versions of its
own.  Once I understood that, and nuked lpr/lprNG from my system
forever, life has, generally speaking except for a major debacle at
about 1.1.17-18 (IIRC) between kde and cups that crashed several
versions of kde bigtime, has been very good.  Upgraded finally to
1.1.19 and wall was well and has been since, and currently running
1.1.23 essentially flawlessly, and since my printer is an epson,
foomatic has also been expunged.  Cups + gutenprint-5.0.0-beta2, and
now gutenprint-5.0.0rc2 have Just Worked(TM).  For everything.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: