Multiuser printing

mochzeen mochzeen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 20:35:05 PST 2006

Hello,

After reading the howtos and not finding the answer, I hope to get any help here. Ok, I'm trying to control printing only to registered users.
My environment is a mix of Linux and Windows machines which send the printjobs to a printserver. The printserver is running cups and samba.

Windows users are expected to create a username/passwd on their machine matching their own username on the printserver. And their machine would send printjobs via samba.
Setting AuthType Basic and AuthClass User 'on' would block all printing even though samba has already authenticated the user by matching the entries of smbpasswd.
On the other hand, if I set AuthType Basic and AuthClass User to 'off' would let anyone with a Linux machine to print even though they use a username not listed on /etc/passwd of the printserver. (In this situation, samba does its job of allowing only registered usernames to print.)

So, how do I set cups to rstrict only listed usernames to print while allowing jobs which have been okayed by samba?

Thanks