[cups.general] Accept oder deny printing queues

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Mar 15 02:49:23 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:32:13AM -0500, thewilli wrote:

> I want to set up a CUPS print server at our school in one of the
> public computer areas. The students should be able to print, but the
> print shouldn't start just after the printjob was established - the
> supervisor at the printserver should be able to see the ip adresses
> and the number of pages of the printjobs and should then be able to
> accept oder deny them.
>
> do you know how I could realize that?

I would install Tea4CUPS and pkpgcounter, both available from
http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/ and then capture (Tea4CUPS)
all the print jobs by setting a single virtual queue (probably one
which will ensure the job is in PostScript if you've got a bunch of
different printers, but this is not mandatory) and put them in a
directory while at the same time computing the number of pages in
them (pkpgcounter) and storing this info, for example, in each
file name, along with username and so on...

Then, I'd write a simple GUI which could list this directory
(remotely with NFS or through SSH), and show the job information
to the print admin, then this GUI would allow the admin to requeue
each job to a real print queue which transform the input format (PostScript)
into the final format for each specific printer the jobs will be
redispatched to.

With some scripting, it should be really easy to do.

hth

Jerome Alet