[cups.general] HP Officejet Pro K550

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 15 04:12:47 PST 2006

On Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:37AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mar 14 16:24 Trey Sizemore wrote (shortened):
> > HP Officejet Pro K550
> > SUSE Linux 10.0
> > not seeing the model/driver listed.
> > Is there a comparable model/driver I'm supposed to use.
>
> The HPIJS driver (included in HPLIP) supports it.
> This driver uses so called device classes or "print classes"
> where each class is for one set of compatible models.
>
> First see the HPIJS/HPLIP documentation of the hplip package
> which is installed on your particular system:
> file:///usr/share/doc/packages/hplip/hplip_readme.html
> "4 Product Support"
> Here the "Officejet Pro K550" is not listed.
> But it is listed for the newest HPLIP version at HP:
> http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/hplip_readme.html
> This shows that the "Officejet_Pro_K550" belongs to the
> "DJGenericVIP" print class.
>
> Printing should work even with your installed HPLIP version
> when you select any model which also belongs to this class
> and which is listed in your
> file:///usr/share/doc/packages/hplip/hplip_readme.html
>
> For details about the "DJGenericVIP" print class see
> file:///usr/share/doc/packages/hplip/hpijs-2.1.4/hpijs_readme.html

<snip>

Thanks.  I have the printer working from the Linux boxes (the one to
which it is directly connected and remotely via another machine on then
network).  However, I'm unable to get print output correct from an
Apple Mac mini, also on the network.

In the past, with an Epson Stylus C84, I chose the option (under
Advanced in the printer setup) to use "IPP printing via http.", put in
the address of the machine (like
http://192.168.1.3:631/printers/stylusc84) and chose the Epson C84
gimp-print driver and away I went.

However, I don't a driver specifically for this model or even for one
of the printers using the same driver as mentioned above.  Selecting
other HP drivers results in either multiple garbage pages being
generated or print output with wrong coloring.

How can i get the appropriate driver on the mac so that I can print
remotely?  The Mac is running OSX 10.4.5.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Trey

I'm N-ary the tree, I am,
N-ary the tree, I am, I am.
I'm getting traversed by the parser next door,
She's traversed me seven times before.
And ev'ry time it was an N-ary (N-ary!)
Never wouldn't ever do a binary.  (No sir!)
I'm 'er eighth tree that was N-ary.
N-ary the tree I am, I am,
N-ary the tree I am.

Linux chameleon 2.6.13-15-default i686 GNU/Linux
  7:05am  up 5 days 13:47,  6 users,  load average: 0.99, 0.49, 0.43