Samba + Cups -> PPD Options problem - 1 attachment

Barbouz spamquipu at yahoo.fr
Fri Mar 17 03:39:19 PST 2006

Hi,

I have many printers installed under cups on a samba server, so the
printers can be used and installed on Mac and PCs.

My problem appeared with some new printers I bought and their PPDs.
Under Cups, all the PPD options (Page Sizes, Trays, etc..) appear if I
looked at them from the cups printer configuration page or if I use it
from a Mac.

But if I install the printers under windows (cupsaddsmb, then point and
click connection) I end up with some options missing under the windows
printer advanced options (like missing Pages Sizes, etc...)

The weird thing is that if I install the postscript printer driver
directly under windows with a TCP Port and the same PPD it works
perfectly.
I tried to change the postscript driver file on the samba server
(eg : ps5ui.dll,pscript5.dll,pscript.hlp,pscript.ntf) and re-cupsaddsmb
with the files from the original windows postscript drivers but I still
miss some options...

I compared the two PPD under WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3,
and there was some minor change due to cupsaddsmb, but even if I force
the correct PPD here, all options don't appear.

To finish, I tried to make some minor change to the PPD, like putting A3
in place of A3 SEF for exemple and it suddenly appeared under the
windows printer advanced options, but it didn't work for all the
options....

Anyone have seen this problem before or can help ??

My original post was on gn.samba.general on another server, sorry for
double post.

Thanks in advance.

I'm under Debian
samba                             3.0.14a-3sarge1
cupsys                            1.1.23-10sarge1