[cups.general] How to alias existing CUPS printers togetadditional paper tray capability?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Mar 20 04:23:38 PST 2006

Dracula wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 13:16 -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> Dracula wrote:
>>> We have several HP printers defined in CUPS, but need to print to
>>> additional paper trays in those printers. Looks like the only solution
>>> is to define multiple ALIASES for those printers based on the paper
>>> tray. We're unable to find documentation that indicates how to create
>>> those aliases.
>> man lpoptions
>>

> Hello
>
> I have gone through lpoptions but unable to find option to define alias.

You don't define aliases with lpoptions, you define instances.

For example:

     lpoptions -p lj4000/tray1 -o media=Upper

creates an instance of the lj4000 queue that defaults to the first
tray option on that queue (the actual option name will vary for each
printer)

In CUPS 1.2, you can create separate queues which point at the same
printer using the lpadmin command:

     lpadmin -p ljtray1 -E -v ipp://localhost/printers/lj4000 \
	-o media-default=Upper

(you can sort-of do this in CUPS 1.1, but the default options will
not stick)