Limited IPP functionality in Mac OS X 10.3.x

Jose Hales-Garcia jose at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Mar 20 08:10:54 PST 2006

I've found that unless the user is an admin on a Mac OS X 10.3.x client, that a user can't access queues defined using IPP.  The print function in the GUI is inactive and even the Print Setup Utility application fails to launch.

The scenario I discovered this in is where the client computer's print queues are managed using Workgroup Manager.  The server pushes queues onto the clients with names such as mcx_0, mcx_1, etc.

So the solution is to define LPD queues.  These work fine.  I guess you can say, ironically, that 10.3.x is a legacy system.

I can't test IPP queues with 10.4 clients yet, but I'm wondering if this situation has been fixed in Tiger.

Since legacy systems continue to be deployed to the present, I'd like to suggest putting a more prominent note on setting up cups-lpd using xinetd in the "Absolute basics..." page[1].  I'll cross-post the suggestion on the comments of that page as well.

Thanks,
Jose

[1] http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L230