How do recover from a holding state?

Jose Hales-Garcia jose at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Mar 20 11:02:05 PST 2006

How do I recover CUPS from a perpetual holding state?  Jobs to all queues are held and eventually dissappear without a trace web interface.

My server is running version 1.2b2 (Mac OS X binary distribution) on Mac OS X Tiger client.  I am using cups-lpd and have set it up properly in xinetd.

The service has functioned fine, but when I define a standard banner page for a duplex HP 3700 queue and print to the queue, the service enters a perpetual holding state, where jobs to all queues are held and eventually dissappear (at least from the web interface).

Removing the banner page definition doesn't fix the problem.  Nor does hupping cupsd, hupping xinetd, or restarting the server.

I just want to find what the minimum steps are to get the service back into an accepting state.  My hunch is there are some files that have gotten corrupted and either need to be removed or fixed somehow.

I think the last time this happened I reinstalled the binary distribution which fixed the problem, but that is too extreme a step to take each time this problem occurs.

Thanks,
Jose