Help with printing from Windows

John Alexander j.elmgren at 4dv.net
Mon Mar 20 12:25:56 PST 2006

I need help printing from a Windows XP machine to a CUPS enabled server. I have a Debian "Sarge" machine I'm trying to use as a print server, with an HP PSC 500 printer attached. I have successfully configured the printer locally on the server, and can print a test page.

I have configured a generic postscript network printer (http: protocol) on my XP box and pointed it to the PSC 500 on the server. When I try to print a test page from the XP machine I get no output to the printer. I do get a postscript file in /var/spool/cups.

Here is my cupsd.conf:

AccessLog /dev/null
DefaultCharset notused
LogLevel info
Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.1.*
</Location>
<Location /jobs>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass User
</Location>
<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

Note:  I changed the access log to /dev/null because CUPS seems to be spewing ACCESS messages about every 5 seconds - very annoying. Similar messages appear in error_log if I use "LogLevel debug". Any help is much appreciated!