How to verify print job is complete before sending next job, in CUPS?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Mar 21 03:24:29 PST 2006

Byron Stanoszek wrote:

> I am having a problem with print files queueing up to a VP 2020 printer. This printer supports the HP JetDirect protocol via port 9100.
>
> The problem is this: The printer can hold 10 print jobs internally in its print queue. Even if the printer errors out or the stock needs replenished, the printer continues to accept jobs up to its limit of 10, and after that, CUPS will start queueing the jobs.   If the operator is slow at servicing the printer, print jobs really pile up.  We can delete the ones in CUPS, but we can't do anything about the ones in the printer unless we cycle the power to the printer.  Once the printer's paper issue is fixed, we no longer want the jobs queued up in the printer.
>
> Talking to the printer manufacturer, they said to set the printer driver up to only send one job at a time to the printer and then wait until the printer replies back, "I'm done".
>
> They said this can be accomplished on Windows by going to printers & faxes, view properties for the driver, select "tools" or "status", then "status monitoring".  Once in this screen, checkbox "Show Print time errors", uncheck "Check status before sending a job", and check "Verify job complete before sending next job".
>
> This seemed to fix the problem under Windows, however I am unable to find a similar method in CUPS.
>
> How can I do this in CUPS? I can use the latest beta version if required.
>
> Thanks,
>  -Byron

If the printer supports HP's PJL as well, you could give the hpnpf backend a try. It waits
for the current job to be completed before exiting via appropriate PJL commands sent to the printer.

Helge

PS: see the links on the CUPS home page for how to get that backend.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung