Printing several jobs as one connection

Gary Carroll garycarroll at charter.net
Tue Mar 21 15:18:47 PST 2006

I want to set a printer queue to open a connection (socket?) to a
printer, send the pages of a job, and not close the socket immediately.
If the next job arrives within a set period of time (say, 30 seconds)
then the pages of that job should be sent as part of the first job.
The idea is that I do not want the job to terminate and the printer to
be reset between jobs, as this slows down printing if I am printing a
long string of small (one to five page) jobs to a fast printer.

I want jobs sent to one queue to receive this treatment, but other jobs
sent to a different queue (which may be pointing to the same printer) to
be treated normally.

How do I make this happen? I suspect the first step is applying a marker
to the jobs coming in on one queue that makes them take a different path
through the filters… being new to CUPS, it is not obvious how to do this.

Once I have the jobs identified, how to accomplish the rest of the task?