Print release station

James Sutherland j.a.sutherland at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 01:46:34 PST 2006

I now have a Canon iR4570 copier/printer to network. CUPS can print to it fine, but there's one feature I can't get working with CUPS: "secured printing", in which the job is printed only once the user enters a PIN (specified when the job was submitted) on the console.

The obvious approach would be a queue set up so that all jobs are initially paused, and an old PC next to the copier on which users can release their jobs using their username and password. Has anyone set up a similar system before?

(The PC should be running Linux, and also driving an HP scanner with PAM authentication against an NDS tree, if that's relevant.)