[cups.general] How to alias existing CUPS printers togetadditionalpaper tray capability?

Michael Talbot-Wilson mtw at view.net.au
Sun Mar 26 12:02:09 PST 2006

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Michael Sweet wrote:
>>
>>>    lpoptions -p lj4000/tray1 -o media=Upper
>>>
>>> In CUPS 1.2, you can create separate queues which point at the same
>>> printer using the lpadmin command:
>>>
>>>    lpadmin -p ljtray1 -E -v ipp://localhost/printers/lj4000 \
>>>     -o media-default=Upper
>>
>> dvips supports different print queues by appending queue names to file
>> names, thus: config.bjc6000.  When the print queue instance name is
>> bjc6000/hires (which might select 720x720dpi instead of the default
>> 360x360), how do you select the dvips config file?
>
> No clue.  From what I can guess from the dvips man page, they assume
> you are using lpr, so you'll need to pass in the base queue name via
> the -P option to get meaningful results, something like:
>
>    dvips ... -P `dirname $dest` ...
>
> where $dest is defined to be the printer/instance name.

I think you may have momentarily missed the point.

>> The dvips config file among other things tells dvips the resolution
>> and what metafont mode to invoke to generate fonts tuned for the
>> printer concerned.
>>
>> This affects what resolutions and qualities of Type 3 fonts are
>> generated. So bjc6000/hires would not use config.bjc6000 even if the
>> apparent queue name bjc6000/hires were somehow able to select that
>> file.  The impossible file name 'config.bjc6000/hires' is required
>> IIAMN.
>>
>> It is ... unusual ... that '/' was selected as the instance separator
>> in software aimed at Unix.
>
> Not at all, the instance is associated with the printer, much like
> a file is associated with a directory.

I don't follow your logic.  Or rhetoric.

> What is unusual is that dvips makes assumptions about the printer
> name, like it can be used as a filename (lpr even allows spaces in
> alias names!)

Why are spaces in alias names a problem?

>> Perhaps one can s|/|^|g throughout the source tree.
>
> Yeah, replace a safe character with a special shell character...

What shell do you use?  For bash it is a _default_ histchar.

In any case, read "some character", rather than turning the flame
thrower on one suggestion.

There is a problem with "/".  Calm down, and don't shoot the
messenger.