[cups.general] cupsaddsmb

J.P. Trosclair jptrosclair at judelawfirm.com
Thu Mar 30 09:15:52 PST 2006

Hi group,

I've setup a Kyocera mita laser printer and tested it locally on a print
server. Works great. So now I want to export the drivers via samba for
automatic driver installation when the printer is added to win32 machines on
the network. I've got the drivers for the printer and this is what I've
attempted.

Placed the Kyocera drivers in /usr/share/cups/drivers
cupsaddsmb -v Kyocera

It exports the printer with the default win32 postscript drivers which do
not work with this printer. Honestly I didn't expect it to be that easy
since in the man page it only talks about adobe postscript drivers, the
win32 default postscript drivers and the cups equivalent (maybe not exactly
equivalent) postscript drivers. So my questions are, Does cupsaddsmb even
support exporting drivers for printers other than the 3 postscript setups
mentioned in the man page? If so can you point me where to go to figure out
how to make it use the Kyocera drivers that came with the printer?

I noticed in the verbose output of cupsaddsmb that it's using rpcclient to
add the info to samba after the drivers are placed in the proper share. I
suspect this is the route I will end up taking. Anyhow... I'm running blind
right now and could use some guidance or information on how I need to
proceed with getting the proper drivers exported correctly.

Thanks in advance for any information or help,
J.P.