CUPS 1.2rc1 - CPU load

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Thu Mar 30 11:40:47 PST 2006

> angelb at bugarin.us wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I've downloaded and installed CUPS 1.2rc1 and loaded it with 1167
> > printer queues. That's the number of printers we currently support
> > under 1.1.23.
> >
> > I've noticed that when starting CUPS on the server, CPU load increases
> > as much as 100%. See the following:
>
> Um, yeah, you'll see that even with 1.1.23.  The initial loading of
> the PPD files and job history takes time, and while cupsd does its
> work it will get most of the CPU.  Once everything is setup, it lays
> idle until requested to do some work.
>
> 1.2 *should* be faster loading and use less memory than CUPS 1.1.x,
> particularly with large amounts of job history.  The only bit that
> hasn't been fully-optimized is the PPD loading, but that won't
> happen until 1.3 when we add a PPD attribute cache...
>
> --

My initial post was cut-off and it did not show the rest of info. Don't know what happened there.

I wanted to show that my test system for 1.2rc1 is running 1x1.4GHz and 5Gb RAM. It's a fresh install and it has no job history. cupsd pegged the CPU for 12 minutes while its loading. If I restart it, it does the same thing.

Our production system(secondary) is running CUPS 1.1.23 on a system of 2x2.8GHz and 1.5GB RAM and it loads the same amount of printer queues in seconds, not minutes with very minimum CPU load.

Just my observations...

Thanks,
Angel