cupsaddsmb

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Mar 30 12:30:32 PST 2006

> Does cupsaddsmb even support exporting drivers for printers other
> than the 3 postscript setups mentioned in the man page?

cupsaddsmb is for a design that lets Windows clients behave like Unix
clients in front of CUPS: just send PostScript -- and CUPS will take
care of any required job file conversion if the target is a non-PostScript
printer. One pre-condition is that the printer works from CUPS natively.

That's why cupsaddsmb does only use PS-drivers. It also adds the
CUPS-specific PPD file (which CUPS uses even for non-PS print
devices).

> If so can you
> point me where to go to figure out
> how to make it use the Kyocera drivers that came with the printer?

They will not work. Not with cupsaddsmb. But of *course* you can
use them. But you  need to install them locally on the Windows clients.
On the Samba side you need to change to "use client driver = yes"
in smb.conf. (Newer Samba versions support the "MS Print Driver
Migrator" tool, that lets you install the Windows drivers into the Samba
[print$] share via a Windows GUI.)

If you feel like being a bit more adventurous, see here for a step by
step guide how to do it all on the commandline, using Samba tools
(note, rpcclient is declared by the Samba Team as being a debugging
tool only, and that its behaviour may change any time. However, it
still works for me to install drivers...). See here:

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#id2593781
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html

> I noticed in the verbose output of cupsaddsmb that it's using rpcclient
> to add the info to samba after the drivers are placed in the proper
> share.

You didn't mention which Samba version you're using. I had feedback
that cupsaddsmb didnt work with Samba versions 3.0.20 and 3.0.21a/b.
I recently had to use it extensively with 3.0.21c and it worked great
with CUPS 1.1.23. (Note that the Samba Team today released a 3.0.22
security update release: 3.0.21* release exposee the clear text of the
server's machine account credentials in the winbind log files if the
log level was 5 or higher.).

> I suspect this is the route I will end up taking. Anyhow... I'm
> running blind right now and could use some guidance or information
> on how I need to proceed with getting the proper drivers exported
> correctly.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information or help,
> J.P.

Cheers,
Kurt