[cups.bugs] Re: [LOW] STR #1459: printed page does not fit onpaperwhen printing pdf

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Mar 4 06:16:38 PST 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> Florian Mickler wrote:
> >> You could also be running into a bug with a replacement pdftops
> >> filter...
> > what do you mean by that and how do i check for that?
>
> Many Linux distributions replace the standard CUPS pdftops filter with
> a wrapper script around the Xpdf pdftops filter.  This causes no end of
> problems, however we have no way to help you with that - you need to
> contact the Gentoo people for assistance.
>
> --
> Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com

After carefully reading the posted error_log, I found that the pdftops filter
(the alternate one) has been configured correctly - the logged comments from
the pdftops output clearly report A4 media size and bounding box. Thus,
as far as I know how pdftops v3.0x works, the correct page size is defined
via the setpagedevice operator by the PostScript job.

OTOH, the PS data get filtered by ESP-gs' cups device, and the gs commandline options
include the option "-dNOMEDIAATTRS". Though I do not claim to have completely
understood how this modifies the standard gs behaviour, I suspect that the /PageSize value
from the input to gs is ignored and the default letter setting takes effect.

This behaviour is completely different from any real PostScript printer I have ever
dealt with, so where does this gs option come from (and perhaps there is somebody
to explain the real effects of this parameter, as I refuse to dig through the sources
for a complete understanding).

Perhaps, Florian, you could post (an URL to) the PPD and describe how your printer has beensetup in detail?

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung