[cups.bugs] Cannot print to jetdirect port 9101 (Fedora Core 5 +cups-1.2-0.1.b2.3 + Gutenprint 5.0 Beta2)

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Mar 25 06:16:23 PST 2006

Miles Lane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to get Cups/Gutenprint to print to my Epson Stylus
> Photo R340 which is connected to the USB port of my Airport Extreme
> wireless access point.  I am able to print to this printer with both
> Apple's OS/X and Windows XP.  A recent firmware upgrade for the access
> point changed the jetdirect port from 9100 to 9101.  This has turned
> It seems to me that "192.168.1.1.jetdirect" should be
> "192.168.1.1.9101".   When I previously tried to get this all working

If you look in /etc/services, you'll probably see jetdirect listed
multiple times for 9100, 9101, and 9102.

> with the gimpprint stable drivers, instead of seeing
> 192.168.1.1.jetdirect, I saw 192.168.1.1.9100.  Neither the 9100 or
> jetdirect ports are getting output from my printer.  How can I fix
> this?  Is this a CUPS or gutenprint bug?

Neither, it is probably just that the access point may not be using
the JetDirect "protocol"!

Best thing to do is post a question to the Apple "printing" mailing
list - go to "http://lists.apple.com" to subscribe.