[cups.bugs] Cannot print to jetdirect port 9101 (Fedora Core 5 +cups-1.2-0.1.b2.3 + Gutenprint 5.0 Beta2)

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 14:56:37 PST 2006

On 3/25/06, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
> Miles Lane wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been trying to get Cups/Gutenprint to print to my Epson Stylus
> > Photo R340 which is connected to the USB port of my Airport Extreme
> > wireless access point.  I am able to print to this printer with both
> > Apple's OS/X and Windows XP.  A recent firmware upgrade for the access
> > point changed the jetdirect port from 9100 to 9101.  This has turned
> > It seems to me that "192.168.1.1.jetdirect" should be
> > "192.168.1.1.9101".   When I previously tried to get this all working
>
> If you look in /etc/services, you'll probably see jetdirect listed
> multiple times for 9100, 9101, and 9102.

Nope.  Jetdirect is only assigned to port 9100, so this is the same
problem I had before, where my nonstandard port selection is
being ignored my Cups.  In other words, Cups is not using port
9101, even though I specified it in the socket definition.

> > with the gimpprint stable drivers, instead of seeing
> > 192.168.1.1.jetdirect, I saw 192.168.1.1.9100.  Neither the 9100 or
> > jetdirect ports are getting output from my printer.  How can I fix
> > this?  Is this a CUPS or gutenprint bug?
>
> Neither, it is probably just that the access point may not be using
> the JetDirect "protocol"!

As I said before, Windows XP and OS/X print to this port fine.
I am certain that the jetdirect protocol is supported.

> Best thing to do is post a question to the Apple "printing" mailing
> list - go to "http://lists.apple.com" to subscribe.

This isn't an Apple problem.  So, any ideas why this is failing in Cups?

         Miles