[cups.bugs] Re: [MOD] STR #1524: SERVERBIN hard-coded to /usr/lib/cups (should be /usr/lib64/cups on 64-bit Linux)

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Mar 30 08:59:53 PST 2006

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

No, for a prefix of /usr, SERVERBIN MUST be /usr/lib/cups or
/usr/libexec/cups on ALL PLATFORMS, otherwise you WILL run into SERIOUS
compatibility issues!

As I have mentioned to Tim Waugh at Red Hat, we are open to adding a
--with-serverbin configure option for this, however I *highly* recommend
that you sit back and think about this for a second: ALL existing CUPS
add-ons look to /usr/lib/cups or /usr/libexec/cups (*BSD and Darwin) when
installing, regardless of whether they are 32-bit, 64-bit, or whatever. We
have, for the last 7 years, maintained this standard across all operating
systems, even those that supported a mix of architectures, and it has
worked flawlessly.

If you *do* decide to install in /usr/lib64, then you MUST add a symlink
from /usr/lib64/cups to /usr/lib/cups, otherwise you will break every
third-party CUPS add-on.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1524
Version: 1.2-current
Fix Version: Will Not Fix