[cups.general] Re: It's everything OK, but printer doesn't do anything

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue May 2 04:51:10 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Apr 28 08:43 Anonymous wrote:
> > > I have a HP LaserJet 1020 USB
> >
> > Shit happens ;-)
> >
> > See
> > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1020
> >

> Johannes, I got the ppd file and I put in my model/ directory.

A PPD file is no driver.
You need a driver for your printer and for your operating system.
See for example
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"PPD Files" versus "The Filter".

Additionally you need a firmware file for this awkward printer, see
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1020

This is why I wrote "Shit happens".

> I restarted the cups daemon but when I select the model of the
> Printer, it still shows me its generic drivers, not the
> LaserJet 1020 driver.

I don't know how this works for your operating system.
See for example
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"Command-line Tools":
If you are not sure which graphical tool is best suited for
certain special configurations, use command-line tools instead.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de