It's everything OK, but printer doesn't doanything

Silas silasdb at yahoo.com.br
Wed May 3 07:27:15 PDT 2006

> A PPD file is no driver.
> You need a driver for your printer and for your operating system.
> See for example
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
> "PPD Files" versus "The Filter".
>
> Additionally you need a firmware file for this awkward printer, see
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1020
>
> This is why I wrote "Shit happens".

Ok Johannes, I understand it. So, I downloaded foo2zjs and installed it following the INSTALL.txt.

[gmake install] wasn't finding foomatic-rip, so I modified the Makefile, because my foomatic-rip is on /usr/pkg/bin/foomatic-rip. gmake and gmake install worked very well. I restarted cups. Now, when I try to print a test page I see that the processor usage goes to 100% for some seconds. I think it's converting the print document to the ZjSystem Protocol (that Laserjet 1020 uses). The printer status goes to "processing, accepting jobs." and the job is "processing since
<date>" but it never outputs.

I was reading the foo2zjs documentation and I found something useful:

On another OS or with a parallel port connected printer:
You must send a firmware file to the printer each time you power it up.  If you downloaded the extra files for the HP above, a typical command line to load the firmware would be:

cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1000.dl > /dev/usb/lp0
(other printers...)
cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1020.dl > /dev/usb/lp0

So I did:
cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1020.dl > /dev/ulpt0

That's "where"(?) the printer is connected on NetBSD. Then the printer status goes to "USB port busy; will retry in 30 seconds..."

Well, CUPS is in a non-standard directory. Its binaries are in /usr/pkg/bin and so, because I installed using the NetBSD package colletion. It's non-standard from the Linux view. I installed the foo2zjs using the default directories (probably either /bin or /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin) so I don't know if it's bad or no.

Any clue? Thank you very much. Bye!