[cups.general] Re: Re: It's everything OK, but printer doesn't doanything

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed May 3 08:09:31 PDT 2006

Hello,

On May 3 10:27 Silas wrote (shortened):
> my foomatic-rip is on /usr/pkg/bin/foomatic-rip.
> So I did:
> cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1020.dl > /dev/ulpt0
> That's "where"(?) the printer is connected on NetBSD.
> CUPS is in a non-standard directory. Its binaries are in /usr/pkg/bin and so,
> foo2zjs using the default directories (probably either /bin or /usr/bin
> or /usr/local/bin) so I don't know if it's bad or no.

I don't use NetBSD and I don't know about it.

But I know that usually CUPS uses a very strict serach path for
executables so that some required executables may not be found
(i.e. foomatic-rip and/or foo2zjs and/or Ghostscript and/or
whatever else the filtering process needs).

The LinuxPrinting.org PPD for the LaserJet 1020 has a line
*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"
You can change the plain foomatic-rip to a full-path like
/usr/pkg/bin/foomatic-rip so that it is called directly
without using CUPS' serach path for executables.
And there is another line
*FoomaticRIPCommandLine: "foo2zjs-wrapper %A"
which lets foomatic-rip call foo2zjs-wrapper using whatever
serach path for executables there is in foomatic-rip
with a parameter which is replaced according to the
"*FoomaticRIPOption PageSize: enum CmdLine A" section
in the PPD (e.g. %A is replaced by -p9 for page size A4).
Make sure you have a foo2zjs-wrapper executable installed.
You may change the plain foo2zjs-wrapper line to a full-path
where your foo2zjs-wrapper is actually installed.

There is a error_log file in CUPS (I don't know where it is
on your system) and when you set "LogLevel debug" in your
cupsd.conf file (and restart cupsd), you get lot of debugging
messages in the CUPS error_log file, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"Configuring CUPS in the Network" -> "If problems are encountered".

Furthermore you can use foomatic-rip without any spooler, see
http://www.linuxprinting.org/direct-doc.html
which may help you to get first of all only the plain foo2zjs
driver working without the need to care about CUPS issues now.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de