How to get PJL out of 'Kyocera-Postscript'?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu May 4 04:01:17 PDT 2006

Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately, I have some problems with postscript-output on all of my
> Kyocera printers (FS-1010 & FS-1030D): Sometimes, everything will be
> printed as plain-text, because it seems, that the first few
> '@PJL'-commands mess up the whole postscript interpretation.
>
> Afterwards, I saw, that - when I print over Windows - I send
> automatically '@PJL'-stuff to cups, so I commented the following lines
> of my Kyocera-PPD's out (on CUPS & Windows-side):
>
> *% Protocols
> *%Protocols: PJL TBCP
>
> *% JCL Information
> *%JCLBegin: "<1B>%-12345X at PJL JOB<0A>"
> *%JCLToPSInterpreter: "@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=POSTSCRIPT<0A>"
> *%JCLEnd: "<1B>%-12345X at PJL EOJ<0A><1B>%-12345X"
>

> That gave me clean postscript-output on the Windows-side (tested over
> the 'print-to-file'-switch). However, I still get distorted output with
> '@PJL'-lines at the beginning and I just don't know why. It looks like
> this:
>
> *************BEGIN*************
> t.jpg"
>         @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=POSTSCRIPT
>                                         %!PS-Adobe-3.0
> %RBINumCopies: 1
>                 %%Pages: (atend)
>                                 %%Title: test.jpg
> %%Creator: PScript5.dll Version 5.2.2
> %%CreationDate: 5/2/2006 23:51:36
> (...)
> *************END***************
>
> (Please note: The tabs at the first few lines were not accidentally
> entered - it looks always exactly like this.)
>
> Interesting is also, that I have _less_ problems, if I choose the
> 'High-Compatibility' option of the 'Mini-KPDL'-Kyocera-Driver (section
> 'Postscript-Options').
>
> If somebody could just tell me a way to find out, where exactly the
> 'PJL'-stuff gets into the 'stream' and why this just happens sometimes,
> I would be very, very happy.
>

> Thank you very much.
>
> Petar
You should get the PPD from the vendor's site; the PPD on linuxprinting.org does something with
foormatic-rip which might not be what you really want.
In case you have trouble, look at
	http://www.linuxprinting.org/kyocera-faq.html#Kyocera-FS-1010_1
for further discussion. It may be that you need to edit your PPD for
safely selecting PostScript for these printers.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung