Postscript Filter settings

anthony at alperts.com anthony at alperts.com
Thu May 4 11:26:46 PDT 2006

I wonder if I might be able to get some guidance on an issue I am having with a laser printer (Phaser 6300) that is doing something strange when using the postscript driver.

The situation is this;
One scenario is that the printer is defined as raw. We convert a pdf document using acrobat reader to postscrpt and then sent that to the printer - output is fine.
The other scenario is that we define the printer as postscript vs raw.  We do not use acrobat reader to convert to postscript, but just send the pdf file directly to the printer and let the driver convert to postscript.  When we do this, the image on the page is enlagred by a few percent and things do not line up.

I would like to not have to convert to postscript using the acrobat reader.  I would like to simply send files directly to the printer without the extra step.  However, this results in output that is not satisfactory.

Does anybody know what might be causing this ?  The documents, when printed on WinXP, print as in the first scenario.  It seems that there might be a bug in the cups driver.  I was experimenting with different options on the print line (fitplot, scaling, etc) with no luck at all.

We are running linux 2.4.21-32.ELsmp cups cups-1.1.17-13.3.13

Any help would be appreciated
Anthony