[cups.general] CUPS print queue stalls on serial printer - start fixes - permanent solution ?

dont-spam-me dont-spam-me at rutledge.com.au
Thu May 4 18:47:05 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've been using cups on an FC3 server for some time with versions:
cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.8.9
cups-devel-1.1.22-0.rc1.8.9
cups-libs-1.1.22-0.rc1.8.9
hal-cups-utils-0.5.2-8
libgnomecups-0.1.12-5

For one print queue, queue-barcode, a d-link print server (2 Parallel
and 1 serial port) receives the print jobs (from a winXP client machine
via samba) and prints to a serial port connected barcode thermal printer.

Each print job is actually two pages long (of the label size). While
other peoples machines may happily print a list of say 5-pairs of
labels, the person who uses it most will find that only the first page
of the first job gets printed.

The manual workaround is to access cups web service, go to the queue in
question, and click Start Printer. This allows the last page in the
first job to print, and the first of the second job, but it then
printing stalls again. Refresh the queue info page, and I'll see that
the printer is again stopped. This is starting to get a bit boring...

Attached is the /var/log/cups/error_log
No particular error seems to be noted...

Any ideas ?

DaveT.