[cups.general] new epson C88, but c84 driver is newest in gimp-print

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed May 10 02:12:35 PDT 2006

Hello,

On May 9 20:06 Gene Heskett wrote (shortened):
> The c84 driver is only partially usable, the center of the color
> wheel on a test page is soaking wet with black.

As far as I know there are several parameters for the Gimp-Print
driver which controll how much ink is put on the paper, in
particular "Gamma", "Density", and "Brightness".
See the Gimp-Print driver documentation:
-dBrightness=xxx   xxx:   0.0 ... 2.0  (1.0)
Adjust the brightness of the image. 0.0 gives a fully black image;
2.0 gives a fully white image. Values greater than 1 will result
in black not being solid and highlights turning white; values less
than 1 will result in white not being perfectly clear and shadows
turning black.

-dGamma=xxx   xxx:   0.1 ... 4.0  (1.0)
Adjust the gamma of the image, over and above the printer-specific
correction. Gamma less than 1.0 will result in a darker image;
gamma greater than 1.0 will result in a lighter image. Unlike
brightness, gamma adjustment does not change the endpoints; it
merely changes the shape of the input->output curve.

-dDensity=xxx   xxx:   0.1 ... 2.0  (1.0)
Adjust the amount of ink deposited on the paper. If you've chosen
the correct paper type and you're getting ink bleeding through
the paper or puddling, try reducing the density to the lowest value
you can while still achieving solid black. If you're not getting
solid black, even with the contrast and brightness at 1.0, try
increasing the density.
All of the printers supported here actually need less than 100%
ink density in most cases, so the actual density is something
other than the nominal density setting. The effective density
setting cannot go above 100%, so if a value specified will result
in an excessively high density level, it will be silently
limited to 1.0.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de