How to setup access to cups

Robert Henderson rrhpph at rit.edu
Wed May 10 04:33:56 PDT 2006

I'm new to working with the backend of cups, so I'm getting confused on all the different options I have to modify the cups printing system.  Here is what I'm looking to accomplish.

I have downloaded and installed the 1.2 release on an OS X 10.4.6 machine.  I'm looking for a way to create a new user that has the ability to release jobs on a printer queue, and delete them, but that is all.  I don't want them to be able to delete the printer queue, or move jobs, or create new ones.

I know that there is a way to accomplish this, but how?

I would also like the ability to setup a CUPS Print server for our college.  Each lab has it's own set of printers.  I would like to lock each lab assistant down to their respective print queues and jobs that they can manage for the web interface.  Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.  Also, is there a good recommendation for a manual for CUPS?  I see that the creator of CUPS has his book out, but not sure if it is more for developers or for system admins.

Robert