[cups.general] new epson C88, but c84 driver is newest in gimp-print

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed May 10 10:32:36 PDT 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On May 9 20:06 Gene Heskett wrote (shortened):
>
>> The c84 driver is only partially usable, the center of the color
>> wheel on a test page is soaking wet with black.
>>

> As far as I know there are several parameters for the Gimp-Print
> driver which controll how much ink is put on the paper, in
> particular "Gamma", "Density", and "Brightness".
> See the Gimp-Print driver documentation:
> -dBrightness=xxx   xxx:   0.0 ... 2.0  (1.0)
> Adjust the brightness of the image. 0.0 gives a fully black image;
> 2.0 gives a fully white image. Values greater than 1 will result
> in black not being solid and highlights turning white; values less
> than 1 will result in white not being perfectly clear and shadows
> turning black.
>
> -dGamma=xxx   xxx:   0.1 ... 4.0  (1.0)
> Adjust the gamma of the image, over and above the printer-specific
> correction. Gamma less than 1.0 will result in a darker image;
> gamma greater than 1.0 will result in a lighter image. Unlike
> brightness, gamma adjustment does not change the endpoints; it
> merely changes the shape of the input->output curve.
>
> -dDensity=xxx   xxx:   0.1 ... 2.0  (1.0)
> Adjust the amount of ink deposited on the paper. If you've chosen
> the correct paper type and you're getting ink bleeding through
> the paper or puddling, try reducing the density to the lowest value
> you can while still achieving solid black. If you're not getting
> solid black, even with the contrast and brightness at 1.0, try
> increasing the density.
> All of the printers supported here actually need less than 100%
> ink density in most cases, so the actual density is something
> other than the nominal density setting. The effective density
> setting cannot go above 100%, so if a value specified will result
> in an excessively high density level, it will be silently
> limited to 1.0.
>
> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner

This is a c88, and I know what a c82 looks like, been using one of those
for 5ish years.
Blacks are suitably black, and whites are white, its where the colors
should blend that the black gets carried away.  I don't have a scanner
or I'd post a snippet.  I'm more inclined to think its an actual
driver  missmatch between the gimp-print's c84 driver and this c88
printer.  hence the quest to install gutenprint, but gutenprint needs to
older 1.1.23 cups, which was nuked in favor of cups-1.2.0 a few days ago.

--
Cheers, Gene