Why a browsed queue

Bob Jackson bobj at soc.duke.edu
Wed May 10 13:27:28 PDT 2006

Installed the custom PPD for an HP LaserJet 4250dtn (HP_LaserJet_4250.ppd) with an lpadmin command under Centos 3.x:

lpadmin -E -p lab -v ipp://<hostname>:631/printers/queue1 \
-m HP_LaserJet_4250.ppd -D "HP LaserJet 4250dtn" -L "Computer Lab"

It all works fine and the printer is perfectly usable, but when I open up printconf it shows up as a browsed queue.  Hence I can't edit it.

Alternatively, when I use the standard PostScript driver, it installs as a standard queue.

Why is this the case and is there any way to get the custom driver to install as a standard queue?