Can't print to USB with CUPS 1.2 release

Carlos Azevedo carlosarazevedo at netcabo.pt
Thu May 11 07:44:56 PDT 2006

I manage a server running linux kernel 2.4.26 that has 2 printers connected to it by USB. Printing was working fine but today I decided to upgrade to CUPS 1.2 release.
I compiled from source (with GCC 3.3.3) and installed it, configured cupsd.conf and restarted CUPS.
But whenever a print job is sent to the server CUPS reports 'Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds...' and nothing is printed.
I then compiled from source and reinstalled CUPS 1.1.23, reinstated the old cupsd.conf file, restarted CUPS and printing is now working again.
The printers were not touched during this procedure and were both on nor was the server rebooted of anything else besides CUPS being restarted.
So, any thoughts ?